This sacrament is primarily called Baptism because of the central rite with which it is celebrated. To baptize means to “immerse” in water. The one who is baptized is immersed into the death of Christ and rises with him as a “new creature” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This sacrament is also called the “bath of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5); and it is called “enlightenment” because the baptized becomes “a son of light” (Ephesians 5:8). (Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 252)
St. Thomas the Apostle Church – Requirements:
- Baptism Request Form.
- Child’s birth certificate.
- Parents and godparents must take a pre-baptism class. STA offers one time pre-baptismal classes for parents and godparents the second Saturday of each month, 9-11 am. Please contact the Religious Education Office to register for classes before the date you are going to attend. Only registered persons can attend the pre-baptismal class.
- Godparents must have received the sacrament of Confirmation (if single) or Catholic Marriage (if married). If he/she is not married but living as couple with someone, or married by civil law, he/she cannot be accepted as godparent.
- If the child’s parents do not live within the perimeters of our parish (zip codes 33143, 33155 or 33156), or are not registered parishioners of STA, should request a letter from the catholic parish close to their home address to ask permission to baptize their child here in our parish.
The date of the Baptism would be chosen at the time when you can bring us the Baptismal Request Form and the documents mentioned above.
- Sundays within Mass (11:00 am English or 1:00 pm Spanish)
- 3rd Saturday of each moth: 11:00 am English or 12:00 noon Spanish
Saturday: as per availability
Feel free to contact the Religious Education Office if you have any question: 305-665-6862 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org